Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What WE learned today: Life lessons

This morning, at the store, my two-year-old yet again pointed out someone's something different. This time it was a mentally challenged young man. She innocently pointed and yelled, "Look mommy! Him funny." Of course when we were in direct view and earshot of the young man and his personal aid. I quickly shushed her and moved on... only to see a man of God robbed in white. I shot my best 'mom look' at my children and advised them not to say a thing. As he passed us, Liam opened his mouth to say, "That guy looks funny!" only to have his older sister throw her hand over his gaping mouth in effort to block the statement. I cringed.

Last week I took our two-year-old to Trader Joe's with me. I was busy shopping and looking at my list. I was in my zone. She kept telling me something and pointing towards a woman. I assumed she saw something in her cart that she liked. As she kept pointing and getting louder I (still not listening) kept saying an enthusiastic, "Yah Honey!" And as we past this woman Faye got even louder. I saw the woman give me a look as we past by as I was once again wholeheartedly agreeing to what my child was trying to tell me so I stopped and listenend. I was mortified. She had been telling me that "her big. her a little big." and I, unknowingly, had been in agreement. The woman heard. She was hurt and actually left the store.

Rewind to months ago. My son was on a kick about people being different colors. Especially black vs. white. I have a black brother and sister. But he wanted to know if they did everything like us. His questioning sounded so racist but I kept telling him that color makes no difference and we are all the same. Then we went to the store. A woman who happened to be black was on her phone in front of us and Liam blurts out, "black people can talk on the phone too!?" She heard and turned and walked away. I cringed. Not only was she probably hurt but probably thought we were racist. I wanted to yell after her, "You're beautiful! We're not racist! He's 4! I have a black sister!"

I know children are children. They are people in training. They are learning everything for the first time and are so curious about the world around them. I welcome my children's questions. I love to talk with them about whatever is on their mind. Just not out in public when they are pointing out someone's something different.

We had a talk today. About color and people's differences. We are all the same on the inside. Each one of us has feelings. Each one a heart. Lets be slow to judge and save our questions for later. And lets love the world around us no matter how different they may be. That's what Jesus does.

I was able to share some of my own experiences working with the elderly and handicapped. When I am able to explain something clearly on their level and they see the person for what they go through rather then the outward appearance and actions, I can see something click in their little minds and their hearts become compassionate. What if we all looked at each other that way? For what is on the inside.





No comments: