Saturday, October 27, 2012

What I've learned lately: Spiritually

Our life has been a wild and crazy ride thus far and doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. We still don't know His whole plan and we may never but we are beginning to see more and more of His reason for bringing us out here. Stepping out in faith has been a challenge but not one we have ever walked alone. We are away from everything and everyone familiar. Yet God has been with us and we have found a new familiar. We have been blessed beyond our needs and God is calling us to bloom where He has planted us.  

 Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.   Melody Beattie 

Our needs are met. Every. Day. We are never without. But, there are others that are. And that shouldn't be. There should be a balance between those who have and those who don't. And this goes beyond finances. I feel passionately about this in regards to adoption too.

I recently read a book called 'One Thousand Gifts' that I know I keep mentioning. Seriously, it's that good. Anyways, she talks about being thankful for everything in every season and trial. She also uses communion a lot throughout the book. The simple act of Jesus first giving thanks, then breaking the bread, and giving has spoke multitudes to me. 

God provides. We should first give thanks then divide what we are given and give. This is a concept that I am finally fully understanding. It's been a long process. There were some things that happened during what should of been some vital learning years for me, spiritually. I feel like I never fully understood a lot. I've been on a spiritual journey for the past 5 years seeking out answers to questions. This is an answer to a very big question. What should we give and why? Why does God ask us to give? I think it's so much more then to help others. When we give we are letting go. When we let go, we take His hand in exchange. His hand leads, guides, and provides. We become fully dependent on Him. Right where we should be. 

We've been studying trees for school. I felt the Lord draw me to John 15:5. "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing."

I have a friend that is living out her one wild and crazy life to the max of what God provides and asks of her. She is such an inspiration and encouragement. She posted this morning and something she said resonated in my heart because it's the place where God has brought me. 

God desires to take our lives on an adventure and I mean if we fully believe He is in control and this isn't our home then why the heck not live the adventure? Why not risk it all for Him?

There have been a lot of people that have told us that they couldn't have done what we've done. (leave everything and move to a different state) And I just think but how can you not? (not that God is asking everyone to move) Sure it's been a challenge of our faith but what isn't? Stepping out in faith has taught me so much more than I anticipated. And we have been blessed in countless ways. And we have grown in ways we otherwise would not have. Producing real fruit we otherwise could not have produced on our own.

Letting go and hanging on to Him and allowing Him to take us on this journey is completely unconventional and makes no sense, logically. But God isn't conventional. He moves in mysterious ways. 

Romans 12:2 - Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Philippians 4:6-7 - Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. 

Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

This revelation has gone above and beyond finances. We have been given life so why not give thanks and resolve to live it out to God's full intention. Yes, it will be unconventional. It will be hard at times but even in the hard times, we will have peace. And that peace is priceless. What we sacrifice in order to gain the peace that He provides is minute compared to the price He paid for us to live in that peace.

We can take the gifts that God has given us. Give thanks. And share with the world around us. God will take care of our needs.

Matthew 6:25-33 - "That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life- whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren't you far more valuable to Him than they are?
Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 
And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and then thrown into the fire tomorrow, He will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? So don't worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs
Seek the Kingdom of God above ALL else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need. 

Why live our lives just for ourselves and our own gain and follow the traditions and expectations of the world? God is beckoning us to follow His plan and He's promising to provide all of our needs. What will living for ourselves and gaining all that we can really do for us but provide a false sense of security?

Matthew 6:19 - Do not store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal.

It's in the letting go where we find His true peace. True happiness. True contentment. I'm happy to say that's right where I am. I have peace. I am happy. I am content. And from that I can give. I can love. I can show grace. 

He loves us so therefore we can love.
He forgives us so therefore we can forgive. 
He gives to us and provides all of our needs so therefore we can give and help provide the needs of others. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to the moving away part, even though it was mandated in our situation. I'm thankful for all the wonderful people we never would have met had my husband never joined in the first place, and now I couldn't imagine life without them. So many military people we know who live here are just "passing through", never taking hold of opportunities here. Life is too short to NOT take hold of life abundantly and do what God asks. This post was encouraging to me! I totally agree that it's completely 100% worth it to follow God with everything!

~Elizabeth