Monday, June 21, 2010

Little lessons...

Going over Romans 4 for the Believing God study I realized an important life lesson that I didn't think held any importance to my adult life.

I don't know how old I was but I was young. (probably 9 or 10) My mom hated any use of God's name in vain. That included 'gosh'. I tried so very hard for months not to say 'gosh' as in 'oh my gosh' and I didn't and was so proud of myself that I was being so obedient to my mom and God. But I lived with this constant fear that I was going to screw up and something bad would happen.

Then, one day, I got upset about who knows what and it happened...

I uttered 'oh my gosh' under my breath. No one else could hear me. No one was around. At first I held my breath in shock that I had just said it. And then I waited for something to happen...

But nothing did...

I was surprised that the Lord hadn't struck me down but then an unforgettable sense of joy and peace flooded over me. It felt so good not to be perfect. It felt so good to let my guard down. 

I didn't start going around saying bad words all the time but I learned something that day. I learned about God's grace and didn't even know it. 


No comments: