Tuesday, April 13, 2010

my girls...


they mean the world to me. i would do anything for them. and, more importantly, i will be honest
and open with them always. i never want to sugar-coat anything. when i feel myself starting to sweet
talk something, i stop and realize that the words coming out of my mouth aren't even my words.
it's what i've been spoon-fed my whole life. so then i make a conscious decision to speak truth. 
there is freedom in truth. there is life in truth. and i pray they'll find encouragement in their lives from their truth speaking momma.

today i ended up having one of those 'truth talks' with olivia. we discussed molestation, abduction, sex within marriage, gay people, and masturbation... are you gasping? i didn't use that terminology, i assure you. but i didn't sugar coat anything and i didn't make any harsh judgements. i simply explained our beliefs and stressed God's grace and love for us and His plan for us. i made it easy for her to understand without going into actual details. i realize she's only five but nowadays things happen earlier and earlier on in life and i want her to be prepared for anything that might come up. i did not take her innocence away or make her feel uncomfortable. i just talked to my daughter

and then i painted our toenails...

and before i get judged, i know that i could have benefited from some truth in my life early on... if only i would have had things explained to me, i would have been saved years of heartache, confusion, and surprises. and no i didn't just dive into such deep subjects with her. it started with her making a woody doll and buzz light-year kiss and then her laughing about it and asking me if that was silly. if you listen close enough, your children will give you cues and you'll have an opportunity to have those 'truth talks'. 

i know i am raising strong-willed (bloodline given) girls but hopefully God-believing women too who know what they want and how to stand-up for themselves and who believe in who God says they are. it takes one 'truth talk' at a time and their momma to be a living example. i'm still a work in progress and will always be learning. but i'm not afraid to share my heart. especially with my children.




2 comments:

Amy said...

first of all, what a sweet picture! it's such a perfect mommy-daughters moment :)
second, i think kids can be a lot smarter than we give them credit for. (And not that I'm biased or anything, but Olivia is extremely bright!) if we aren't honest with them, they'll go somewhere else for truth, and that can be a scary thing! good for you for instilling such important truths and values in your children right from the start! you go, momma!

Brie said...

I LOVE this! Good Job Steph! Way to not pass up a great opportunity!