Monday, March 15, 2010

project 52:6

This past Friday was our 6th wedding anniversary. We were to celebrate it on Saturday by going out to dinner and my mom was going to watch all three children.

As some of you know, I've been starting projects around the house and felt a bit in over my head. The house was a disaster. Olivia's room was half painted. The children hadn't been doing well with their temporary sleeping arrangements. Jess' car hadn't worked all week. The basement was wet and things were getting ruined. My weekend to-do list was growing and the thought of taking up a whole Saturday to get the kids ready and situated sounded exhausting. Plus, when Friday came around, I really wanted to celebrate on that day. We didn't get married on the 13th it was the 12th!!!!

On top of that, I had dug through tubs looking for our wedding album with no luck except a bunch of pictures of me when I was younger. Didn't think I had aged that much... and THEN my husband told me about a necklace he bought that I had wanted a while back and that it hadn't been shipped yet. I felt horrible because I hadn't gotten him anything because I wasn't informed that we were getting gifts...

So, I came up with a plan of sorts that I wasn't sure would work out. I wanted to keep it a secret from Jess. I asked my mom to take Olivia and Liam for the night vs. all three children on Saturday evening. She agreed to do it. Good. One thing down...

Next was the house. I kept telling myself to just make it look good enough for one night. No need to deep clean. So I shoved a bunch of stuff into our office and Liam's room, shut the door, lit some candles, and vacuumed....

I also made pot roast that was going to be for dinner anyways and made a mad dash to the store for some sparkling grape juice (i'm nursing) and the makings for cookie sundaes.

I got home with 30 minutes to spare to throw it all together. And I did just that, knowing that my husband would be 30 minutes late.

An awesome co-worker of my husband's, who lives down the street, graciously drove him to work all week. She had a de-humidifier that she had been wanting to give us since we moved in here so they stopped by her house and picked it up.

When they came to the door he was fully expecting to come home to a chaotic household and I think even warned her so. (she's lucky that i'm not an answer-the-door-naked kind of girl) I greeted them with a half naked baby I was in the middle of changing but other then that the house was clean and dinner was set up and the older two kids were at my moms.

He was really surprised. As far as he knew we were just gonna have a regular evening and celebrate on Saturday. The good dad he is though, he missed the kids and was sad he hadn't seen them all day and now all evening but I don't think he minded too much...

How could he complain when he saw this?




We sat and talked. I ate way too fast (as usual). And, we enjoyed a quiet dinner at home. I have always wanted to do this and it was perfect...




Then we got bored and decided to tackle our to-do list. So, we headed out to Target and Lowe's and bought a bunch of crap to tackle more projects... Happy Anniversary to us! 

I am sooo my mother's daughter... Sorry babe!

BUT we did get back around 10 and had our cookie sundaes and caught up on our shows. Then we woke up on Saturday and worked on our daughter's room all day. Literally. (we didn't finish until 1am on Sunday). The kids wanted to stay another night at my parents' and my parents were crazy enough to agree. We were thrilled!  We took a dinner break and ate at one of my favorite local mexican restaurants. It was lovely and was a bonus date to us.. Not to mention, we ended up getting a whole weekend practically to ourselves!

It was a lovely way to spend our anniversary weekend and we are so thankful to my parents for keeping the kids. (Thank you!!!!)


need a change in your marriage? it's never too late to join!

Project 52: Date Nights logo


(2 things: you finally got another picture of me. i met all the necessary requirements for this date. AND that is the dining room re-do i hinted at last week. it was a horrible smoker's yellow/poop color two tone thing and then we had painted it all white and now that lovely shade of sandy beige aka valspar oat bran)


11 comments:

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Sounds like a great celebration. great that your parents took the kids.

christy rose said...

wow! you got a whole weekend together. Now that is the way an anniversary weekend should be. Sometimes I think staying at home without kids is as much fun as getting away in a hotel.

The Romantic Vineyard said...

What a wonderful anniversary! It's great to have parents who will help promote the romance in your relationship. Great job! I love your dining room - very intimate and inviting! Thanks so much for sharing!

Nichole said...

That sounds so nice! I love your dining room table.

Brandy said...

Sounds like you had a great time...we end up doing projects or buying for projects a lot when we have time with out our daughter but it is always time spent together. We always have to thank the grandparents too for watching the little one for us.

Brie said...

I'm so glad you got a whole weekend to celebrate!

Cheree Moore said...

Nice to get to surprise your hubby with a "clean" house. Sometimes, just clean for a day can be a nice reprieve.

Stacie said...

I totally agree on "it has to be on the exact date" thing. Drives my hubby crazy :) The room looks awesome & how you put it all together with candles was sweet. I'll have to keep that date surprise in mind!

Tina Puntigam said...

What a great celebration! Thanks for dropping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

first of all, you are so cute in your picture! second, the dining room looked lovely. i love your chairs. third, what a fun anniversary! we will also be celebrating our 6th this year. what a fun weekend and thanks for sharing! you did a fantastic job!
tiffany {Simply Modern Mom}

Jenn Anderson said...

Wow what a great date! I love your home & you look so beautiful! Great job!