Tuesday, February 23, 2010

project 52:3

This date almost didn't happen. We were busy Friday - Sunday. We had a very eventful weekend. As mentioned in my previous posts, we traveled to wisconsin to pick up a minivan. What was supposed to be one night, turned into two because of road conditions. All is well though and we got home safe and sound.

We got home yesterday afternoon. We were exhausted. I got a little nap in so I was actually able to stay awake past the kids' bedtime in order to get our date in. Very little preparation went into our date but it made for a very fun date. I had read over at butterscotch sundae that they had played gin for one of their dates. I have never played gin but as a person who loves to play cards I really wanted to try. Plus, I was intrigued that it was a card game for two. We love playing cards and often play pinochle but always have to wait until his brother and his brother's girlfriend can join us. The only card game we play, that can also be for two people, is phase 10 and that i am sick of. I like a card game with a little more strategy. So, anyways....

For our third date we learned how to play gin! And it is really fun! I can't wait to make him play tonight now that we are a little more rested. We only got through one game last night.

We found some informative video tutorials online....


Our local Dairy Queen just opened on friday for the season so of course we ate that...


Then, we got down to business and tried our hand at gin...


Notice, I am not in these photos... I was present... I was an active member of our date but wasn't about to show you what I look like make-up less, exhausted, and frumpy. Yes frumpy. We broke a rule. But, we got over it and accepted each other as we were and just enjoyed our date. Lesson #1 - if cheating while on a date by wearing frumpy clothes.. wear oversized frumpy clothes instead of fat-hugging loungewear that you dug out because all of your other clothes were in the wash... it makes you complain the whole date about how fat you are and how badly you are in need of a work-out regime. oh and when feeling this way... don't eat dairy queen. it makes matters worse. tonight my husband will finally be downloading P90x onto my lap top per my persistent requesting last night.

Oh, and of course, I won! Good thing cause I was too tired for a re-match had I lost. (i'm just a little competitive...)

Lesson #2 - when unprepared... improvise! use a piece of scratch art-paper and your daughter's over-sized girly pen to keep score...

Project 52: Date Nights logo

interested? join project 52 at anytime! it's for any couple! (married, dating, engaged, young, & old)

10 comments:

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Looks like a fun date. I love Dairy Queen. Ours is open year round now. So much trouble for me.

Amanda Rassi said...

I think this is such a great thing you guys are doing, in fact you have inspired us. I thought I would help a little. We have a family card game that is kind of a 2 person solitaire. We have a different name for it and our rules are a little different than these. But it's pretty fun. http://www.pagat.com/patience/spitemal.html

stephanie said...

Thanks Amanda! We'll have to try that :) glad we've inspired you. It's been so fun. You'll love it!

Ginny Clark said...

what counts is that you got your date in, Frumpy or not :)
glad you had a good time.

Whitney Baldwin said...

we are also card game lovers, so we'll have to try our hand at gin. your frumpy comments made me laugh-- I wore too-tight apparel for our yoga date and regretted it all night. especially when I saw the pictures afterwords. yikes!

overtiredmum said...

Sounds like a good night (and just think you could have missed by sleeping on the sofa when you got home). I love gin but can never remember the rules - didn't think of looking for them on line.

Never had a dairy queen (not sure if they have them here) - looks good, on my places to eat USA! xo

Sherrie said...

ROTFL Your lesson #1 cracked me up. :)

Anonymous said...

i love it! what a great date and lessons learned. i laughed. let me know how p90x goes for you. i have friends who swears by it. i need something that's for sure! maybe we should do it together. :)

p.s. i love playing gin. it's a game my dad and i used to play when i was a little girl. thanks for sharing and so glad you two made such a huge effort for date night even though you were gone all weekend! you're awesome! see you next week!
tiffany {Simply Modern Mom}

Nichole said...

That sounds like a nice end to an exhausting weekend. We have a year-round DQ, but fortunately it's all the way across town. I don't think we've gone since we moved here two years ago. There is, however, a Krispy Kreme about 2 miles away.

Anna said...

Fun! I like how you learned something new together.