Wednesday, December 17, 2008

thursday evenings...



every thursday evening my brother-in-law and his lovely girlfriend
come over for dinner and the office.
i've come to really look forward to these evenings
and i enjoy having people to cook for!
i've been challenging myself.
last week i made my first turkey!
i just went for it and it turned out beautifully.
i stuck it in frozen before lunch and by dinner it was perfect.

this week's thursday night came on tuesday night
as they have something else going on this thursday.


i challenged myself yet again!
i made my first ever chili.

white chicken chili
(i ended up making my own recipe)
this makes a HUGE pot to feed 10 people

7 cans of great northern beans
48 oz of swanson chicken broth
1.75 jars of salsa verde
3 garlic cloves
(that didn't work out for me but they got cooked with the onions)
1/2 lg. onion diced
1.5 tsp of salt
1.5 tsp of seasoned salt
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
5 chicken breasts
1 cup of shredded cheese

first i cooked the chicken in my crock pot for 5 hrs.
till it fell apart. then i shredded it.

i put it back in the crock pot with the chicken broth,
salsa verde, salts, and beans.

then i tearfully cut up the onion and garlic
and put it on the stove top to softened them
i ended up taking the garlic out cause i messed that up somehow

i added them to the crock pot.
then i decided that it wasn't getting done in time
so i tranfered it all to the stove top in a lg. pot

i then added the can of cream of mushroom soup
and shredded cheese

let that all simmer for a while

then i served it up with some light sour cream.
i ran out of cheese but the sour cream
helped bring out the flavors.

this is super easy. it does take all day but it was rewarding
and went over very well with my eaters

i also served it with corn bread. cheesy corn bread.
all i did was make 2 boxes of jiffy corn bread mix and
added in 1/2 bag of shredded cheese
that got baked right in!


for dessert i made

peppermint oatmeal cookies

this is something my sister found a LONG time ago
and they get made EVERY christmas season

2 sticks of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of white sugar
1 tsp. of vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. of cinnamon

mix together

then add
1.25 cups of flour
1 tsp. of baking soda
1/2 tsp. of salt

mix well

then add
3 cups of oats
1/2 a bag of crushed peppermint

mix and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 mins.

while that's baking make your frosting

powdered sugar
milk
the rest of the bag of crushed peppermint

ENJOY!


i had some special helpers last week when i attempted
the perfect chocolate chip cookies.
you know, just like those nestle tollhouse ready-to-bake cookies?
(it's on my list of stuff i have to do within my lifetime.)
they did NOT turn out perfect
but they were yummy!

'rapunzel' see my robe tie?
those where her 'golden extensions' like in shreck


he's my little cookie monster!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! and i want all that food and I also want those cookies, maybe i will make them tomorrow did you use peppermint candy mints!? or is it something else? :) see you TOMORROW! :)


I just realized I am on nates computer so its gonna say from Nathan..but its from me! :)

stephanie said...

haha. that is too funny! i was reading your comment and first i thought, this is nate being a jerk and making fun of me. then i thought, oh - maybe it's a reader i don't know and he's a gay nate. then i had the thought that it's probably cori accidentally signed in under nate's name cause you said see me tomorrow. then i saw that it was you signed under nate's name. i chuckled... you're cute! i just used peppermint candy mints and crushed them. :)

Brie said...

man I wish I had the stamina to do all of that. I just need the motivation to do my dishes right now. we need to make plans to get together sometime next week when you guys are free.